Monday, October 5, 2009

Leave those lights on!

It's weird! We have to (temporarily I hope) reverse a good habit our mothers tried to train into us. In our new house on campus (ARC08), people are being good and turning off lights behind them, and I am running around turning them back on. I am asking them to leave the lights on. It is our only source of heat.

So far, there is still no furnace, no solar panels, no other way to heat the house. This past week has been cold, cloudy, rainy and has averaged about 40 degrees F. Even though we have pretty efficient fluorescent lights, we found out we can keep the whole house at 70 degrees just by leaving the lights on about 12 hours per day.
I think I am going to love having a super insulated house.
Sign up to get yours today!

1 comment:

  1. Its sad, but I know how that goes... luckily I have a black lab that keeps me warm during the night, and during the day, we are active enough to stay warm. But leaving the lights on was a thought I never came up with.


    ------
    Susan
    http://makeshiftbike.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete